Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fall Recipes Part 2

It is another wonderfully cool morning here. I am having more and more trouble getting out of bed in the morning, and my notoriously early rising kids are as well. I have had to wake both kids up after 7:00 am the last few mornings so we are not late to school. If you had told me this would happen even six months ago I would have laughed in your face. It is a wonderful new problem to have!

Besides happiness about the extra sleep, I am super excited because my mom arrives tonight! She is coming to stay for almost two weeks and I can't wait to hang out with her. The kids are going to love having her here for Halloween. This is her first year of retirement, so she has never gotten to do this particular holiday with us. It is going to be fun.

What? You came for the recipes and are tired of my rambling? Ok...

Bacon Dip: I doubled this recipe for Lance's birthday and served it with sliced bread. It is warm, yummy, and made with bacon. What is not to love???

1 package cream cheese (8oz.)
1 1/2 c. sour cream
3/4 lb. bacon or sausage (brown it first, of course!)
2 c. cheddar cheese
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. green onions

Combine all ingredients and put in a serving dish @ 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or bread bowl at 325 degrees for an hour.

Butternut Squash Bisque: Remember how I said yesterday that I like simple recipes? Well, this one is a little more work, but so worth it. It is creamy, spicy, and served with a smoked gouda and bacon garnish. Seriously? What could be better? This recipe came from the Better Homes and Gardens magazine, so I am linking to their page to give proper credit. Also because it is a really long recipe! HERE is the link.

As a bonus end to the recipe fest, I would like to add this tasty tip... Sunday night I took some butternut squash left over from making the huge vat of soup and roasted it. I diced it, drizzled on some olive oil, sprinkled on some kosher salt and pepper, and roasted it in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. It was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment