Monday, June 14, 2010

Sometimes All You Can Do Is Laugh...

What a day!

When the thunder started rumbling around 4 this morning my mind kicked into gear. Vacation Bible School is happening at Church of the Servant this week, and I knew this would mean a little extra shuffling on an already hectic morning. I started planning preschool games in my mind and then decided to try and sleep a little more...

Cut to real wake up time. Get myself and both kiddos dressed in our matching light blue VBS T-shirts (still available for only $10!!!) and start the breakfast rush. I decide to run down to the basement just to make sure the sump pump is going because, man, this is a LOT of rain.

I don't even make it past the landing before I hear the not normal gushing sound of water. Run down the stairs to find that not only is the sump pump unable to keep up with the massive amount of water coming from the sky, but that water is actually gushing in through the entrance to the crawl space under our added on room. Fun times! Yell to Lance and start moving anything I can to high ground. We get things to a passable state, and Lance decides to stay home and work from here for a while to make sure the house does not float away.

Shuttle kids one at a time through the torrential downpour to the car (yes, this is definitely one of the handful of days over the past year that I wish our garage were attached to the house). Get in totally soaked and start out for what I assume will be an extra long drive to church. Little did I know...

Head for the on ramp off 23rd onto Broadway only to find it is blocked off. Turn around and head down 23rd to Hefner Parkway only to find it blocked just past Claussen. Head north on Claussen planning to make a go at getting on I 44. Go a mile and get stuck in traffic. Rain continues to pour and cars are stalled out everywhere. Finally admit defeat as a second fire truck comes through. Turn down a side road to head back south down Western. Make some really scary water crossings while trying to get someone on the cell phone to make a decision to cancel Bible School for the day. I am having flashes of some sweet mama volunteer getting hurt trying to get to VBS.

Luckily we made it home in one piece and most people made the decision on their own not to come to church. I have vowed to revamp our volunteer communication system for next year- but seriously? Cancelling VBS for weather in June? All you can do is laugh...

1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is if Katy Leffel can't do it, no one can. I was thinking of you yesterday. I hope you have a great day today! :)

    ReplyDelete